Gizmo............My Best Friend



I have shared most of my life with dogs, starting at the age of just 4 years old, right through to retirement and my life has been enriched by their company, loyalty and affection. 

Almost 11 years ago, my life was changed yet again when my wife and myself rescued a young 'Briard' who had been badly treated, taken out into the countryside and dumped by the side of the road. He was just under a year old at the time and was such a pitiful sight when we first saw him, cowering in a corner and physically shaking. He was so traumatised, that he 'apologised for living' and shook desperately as I slowly approached him for the fist time. 

In all my life, I have never seen such a sorry state and I knew in that moment, that I had to rescue him and start the rehabilitation required to bring him back from the trauma he had suffered. Fortunately, we already had another dog; a Black Labrador called 'Tess', so that when we arrived home together, he already had another dog to greet him. Even so, it took over an hour to get him to come through the front door and 10 days for him to comfortably accept a lead attached to his collar! I don't know if it was his vulnerability, but 'Gizmo' immediately stole my heart and has remained loyally by my side ever since that first day. 

The average lifespan of a Briard, is 10 to 12 years and it is difficult to describe my feelings towards him and as he now approaches his 12th birthday. I have truly treasured every minute that we have had together and will continue to do so, in the time that we have left. This is the reason that I have written this particular blog, to share my love for this incredible animal and include some of the images that I have taken during these years.

As the saying goes, Dogs really are Mans best friend!


Gizmo with Tess a few weeks after his arrival

Early days, but settling down with Tess and one of our lambs


I have never known a dog that had such an empathy for other creatures. He would happily mingle with our sheep, horses and chickens, who never felt threatened by him. In fact, he saved the lives of two of our sheep, by coming to find me when he found them in trouble. One had ended up in our lake and the other had caught his horns up in our stock fencing. On both occasions, he made sure that I would follow him to their locations, so that I could rescue them. On another occasion, he pestered me to follow him to one of our fields, where he had found an abandoned baby deer!


Still unsure and deep in thought

Gaining confidence and time to play with Tess, who is clearly unimpressed with his exuberance

First experience of snow!

in confident pose

He came to find me and led me to this baby deer.......he was so concerned for it!


We have been inseperable from day one and have our regular routines of daily walks, cuddles and of course, watching Grand Prix's together. Love and affection, simply pours out of him and I am truly blessed to have him in my life.

Watching the Grand Prix with me!


On holiday in Spain

a recent photo in the garden


Gizmo will be 12 years old in January and the realisation that he can't be around forever, sits heavily on my mind sometimes. Of course, he has no concept of time and simply continues to enjoy himself, safe in the knowledge that he is loved and adored..........a far cry from his first year of life!



Tess who sadly died 5 years ago, but played such a huge role in giving Gizmo a wonderful life, after such an awful beginning.





If you enjoy reading my photoblogs, please share them with with your friends

Comments

  1. This story sounds so familiar. We rescued a frightened little mixed breed in RSA at the time they thought he was about 3. It was a couple of weeks before he would go to anyone and would cower under a chair. After that he learnt to love everyone, and he could not give us enough love in every way. He lived to be 18 and sadly ended his days in the swimming pool. I have to believe that he had a heart attack and fell in as he could swim like a fish. Always so difficult to say goodbye, but he has left the best ever memories.
    Enjoy Gizmo while you can and store up those memories. Diane and Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back over the years - such a special dog. Diane xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Triumph TR3a

The incredible 'White Tailed Eagle', photographed near Crinan in Scotland

a Winter Walk around 'Moor Green Lakes' Nature Reserve in Berkshire.....