It's been a funny old week


I spotted this fox on the far bank of the lake at Saint Estephe

It's been a funny old week and although I have been out with the camera almost every day, I have struggled to get one 'decent' shot of anything.

February here in the Dordogne, is a quiet month for wildlife, with many creatures hibernating and others choosing not to play ball with photographers.

Although I have struggled for 'quality' shots, I have managed to come across a variety of birds and animals during my travels.

Common Grebe at the Mialet Barrage

My targets for the last week, were Common Grebe at the Mialet Barrage and Cormorant, who have been roosting near to Saint Estephe Lake.  Despite carrying out a few 'reccies' recently, it transpired that the Grebe were simply not co-operating, by keeping themselves to the middle of the lake and just too far for any precision shots. The most frustrating thing, was that whilst I was watching them, a pair started their courting ritual of displaying to each other. I did take some distance shots, but they were simply not good enough to reproduce here.

Cormorant on a flyby at Saint Estephe Lake

The Cormorant at Saint Estephe, have been roosting for about 6 weeks, near to the lake, but over the past week, have been moving to pastures new.  This morning (25/01/2020), I left home early and was set up by 07.30 to await their arrival. Unfortunately, they did not get the memo and after 4 hours, all I had seen was a single bird, on a flyby.  Sadly, I had left things too long, before I was able to get over to the lake and whilst seeing a few earlier in the week on the water, they now seem to have left the area. 

Young Stag spotted from the car.  You can clearly see the 'velvet' coating on his antlers.

On a positive note, I spotted a young stag earlier in the week, whilst driving to a location and also came across the first Long Tailed Tit that I have ever seen here in France!  Of course, having waited 15 years to see one, yesterday, I found some more in my own woods!!

Long Tailed Tit - The first i've seen in France.

Another first for me in this area, was a pair of Firecrest on the edge of my garden.  I'm hoping that they will be around for a while, as so far, the only shots I have, were quickly taken 'hand-held' at distance.  Looks as though I will be camping out under the conifers, that they seem to enjoy at the moment.  If successful, I will include some decent shots next week!

Another first this week, the beautiful Male Firecrest.

The fox at the lake this morning, was a real bonus and totally unexpected.  In fact, I think he was as surprised as I was.  I have been regularly catching nocturnal foxes on my 'trailcam' at home and was really hoping to get a 'daytime' shot. 

This is the same fox as above, but with a tighter crop. - Taken at a distance of  around 100 yards.

In the UK, it is much easier to get close to nature, as most animals/birds are used to human activity and will allow people to get quite close.  It is a very different story here in rural France, where most creatures will take flight at the merest sight or sound of a human.

Grey Heron

Another opportunistic shot, was this Buzzard.  Although I often see them sitting on poles and wires, they are normally long gone, before I can get myself and the camera out of the car.  Needless to say, it did not hang around long enough for a second shot!

Common Buzzard about to take flight.  It looks really small in this shot, but that was a really thick cable!

So, a funny old week, with a lot of disappointment and a few wonderful experiences.

All set-up and waiting....this was 07.30 and just 3 degrees!


That's the life of a wildlife photographer!


Comments

  1. Pretty good selection if you ask me. I saw Long-tailed tits in the Dordogne, and I have seen one Firecrest some years back in our garden here, I think you have done very well for winter. I love the fox. Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Triumph TR3a

The incredible 'White Tailed Eagle', photographed near Crinan in Scotland

a Winter Walk around 'Moor Green Lakes' Nature Reserve in Berkshire.....