Is it a Bird......is it a Plane......was it a Mirage? - This week, we have all three!

Every now and again, I get a surprise visitor over our garden. This week, I was lucky enough to be able to photograph a local 'Little Owl', that is now hunting during the daytime, in order to feed its new born chicks.  I have also been visiting our local lake, in the hope of being able to capture the Herons and Egrets, that would normally be in situ at this time of year.  Sadly, they have both been absent so far, but I live in hope that they will show up soon.

The surprise of the week however, was this French 'Mirage' Jet, that gave me a low level view, whilst sitting in my hide!  I heard it coming, but had no idea if it would pass in front, overhead, or behind me.  Fortunately, it came into view directly in front of me and gave me the opportunity to capture this one shot.  I had managed to crank up the shutter speed to 1/3200th of a second, but all other settings were programmed to shoot the Owls that I was watching.  As such, i'm pretty happy with this shot!

French 'Armee de L'Air' Mirage Jet at low level over our garden..........Very fast and extremely noisy!

  .

The 'Little Owl', was much quieter and well behaved and even had the good manners to perch on a post directly in front of the hide!  These experiences are very rare, so I have included many similar shots, where the bird may simply have moved the angle of its head.  However, every image is unique and was a privilege to record!




















My visit to the lake, was a complete 'let down'. Despite me being in my hide by 07.45 hrs, none of my targets arrived and I called it a day at 13.00 hrs!  -  It was not a total waste of time though, as I did spot some 'very distant' Kingfishers, that were interesting to watch on the far banks of the lake.  Being around 70 mtrs away, it was not really worth taking any shots, but the following images at least prove that they do exist!




I will be back at the lake for the next few days, in the hope that the Herons and Egrets will finally show up.  However, nature will take its own course and whatever happens, I will enjoy being a passenger in that process!


If you enjoy my blogs, please share them on facebook etc.


Older blogs can be viewed by clicking on the  symbol, at the top of this page

Comments

  1. Excellent photos of the little owl, I am more than a little impressed. You are so patient though you deserve to get great photos.

    The Mirage Jets have been out in pairs at least 3 times over us but I have never had the camera in hand. The first time they came over the house low I was cutting the lawn on the 'sit on' and I thought I was under attack, almost fell off in shock 😲

    Take care and stay safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Triumph TR3a

The incredible 'White Tailed Eagle', photographed near Crinan in Scotland

a Winter Walk around 'Moor Green Lakes' Nature Reserve in Berkshire.....