The Kingfisher......my Nemesis is being tamed! - Plus some great shots of Green Woodpeckers and of course, our new Little Owl.

As close as i'm going to get for this year!


It's hard to explain how long I have waited to get an acceptable (to me) image of a Kingfisher.  Of course, I could have simply paid to attend a professional hide, set up specifically to see them, but I have always believed that total satisfaction, only comes from personal fieldcraft and research of a subject.  Over the years, I have walked many miles alongside rivers, streams, waterways and lakes, in search of these stunningly beautiful birds.  On some of these walks, I have experienced the 'Blue Flash', as the bird streaks past and been mesmerised by their incedible colours.  However, although I have searched and searched, the opportunity to capture a decent image has always eluded me.

Once again, this year, I set myself the target of tracking down my nemesis and capturing my personal Holy Grail.  As usual, I often see them in the distance and always sitting on a favourite perch, in an area that cannot be accessed, either due to dense undergrowth, or on someones elses land.  So, when the opportunity arose to 'stake out' a private lake, I grabbed it with both hands and carried out some research as to potential suitable perch sites.  

The island in the centre of the lake........sadly the surface is like a sponge and will not support my weight, with all the gear that I carry.

I soon found a dead tree, that had fallen into the lake and looked as though it might be a potential site to base my hide. The tree had disappeared under the surface near the bank, but appeared 'out of the water' again about 10 meters into the lake......Perfect!  

Although the deep sloping edge of the lake, would not allow me to erect my 'pop-up' hide, there was enough cover for me to 'blend-in' with my 'bag hide' draped over a chair, tripod and long lens.  The big question now, was were there Kingfishers on this lake, and would they show up and use the perch?

Before sunrise, with the mist rising from the surface.

Having arrived on site, at 06.00, The sun had yet to rise and to make matters worse, there was a mist lifting from the water surface.  I anticipated a few days sitting in the hide, just to see what wildlife was around and where it was spending its time.  Imagine my surprise and delight, when within half an hour, this Kingfisher arrived directly on the perch in front of me!  It did not hang around, but over the next two hours, it did re-visit the perch on two more occasions and also used a perch on an island in the middle of the lake.

One of its favourite perches, on the island in the centre of the lake.....even a 500mm lens can't cope with that distance!


Right perch - not enough light!

Now we were getting somewhere and although the conditions were far from ideal for great images (shooting wide open at f5.6 and 1/40th shutter speed), we were in the right place and close enough for some better shots if the weather improved. - Whilst the weather did improve, the Kingfisher did not show itself for the rest of the day.

Next morning, I arrived early again to find the sun rising, but sadly, only distant views of the bird.  However, this Mallard, was enjoying the early morning sun.

On Golden Pond.

I decided that day 3, would require an extra early start, so with the alarm set for 04.30, I was dissapointed to find total darkness due to thick cloud. However, I was in position by 05.00 and set myself in for a long wait and the arrival of some daylight, which duly happened at 06.30!  -  At 07.15, the Kingfisher arrived on the perch and allowed me to rattle off a series of images, before it flew off, not to be seen again all morning!



Light was still a challenge.......these were shot at just 1/30th second to keep the ISO at sensible levels

I'm getting closer to that 'perfect' picture, which for me would be 'in-dive' (a lot more light and much faster shutter speeds) and of course, with a fish in its mouth.  Realistically, that will be next year, as the breeding season is now over for this year, when the adult male has to keep the family fed.  -  So, can't wait for next June, when the youngsters arrive again!



Green Woodpecker

I have been lucky enough to photograph both Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers over the years, but the 'classic shot' of the Green Woodpecker sitting on the upright side of a tree/post, had eluded me until earlier this month.

Ironically, I was actually shooting 'Little Owls' from my hide, when a pair of Green Woodpeckers' flew in together and landed right in front of me on adjacent posts!

Here are some of the shots:





I doubt that I will ever get a better set of images of a Green Woodpecker!



Little Owl (this years youngster)


Probably the last set for this year, as the youngster has now fledged and is off to patures new.  I set up the post a few months ago, in the hope that they would use it and I have not been dissapointed.  With my hide set-up, just 4 meters away, it has given me some amazing images:






This years sole youngster, has been a joy to photograph!


If you enjoy my blogs, please share them on facebook etc.


Older blogs can be viewed by clicking on the  symbol, at the top of the home page.

Comments

  1. Stunning photos one and all, each one is a favourite. You must be the most patient person ever, I have no idea how you manage to sit in a hide for hours on end. The result though is outstanding.
    Keep well and stay safe, Hopefully see you soon. Diane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Triumph TR3a

The incredible 'White Tailed Eagle', photographed near Crinan in Scotland

a Winter Walk around 'Moor Green Lakes' Nature Reserve in Berkshire.....