Coypu are persecuted, trapped, hunted and shot.......but why?


The Coypu was introduced from South America into France, back in the 19th century by the fur trade. As a result of escaped animals and subsequent later (1930's) mass releases (when the fur trade declined), the Coypu is now considered both an 'alien' species and a 'pest' throughout France!

Having the unfortunate appearance of a very large rat, it has not ingratiated itself with the human population. Size varies, but an adult is typically 50-60 cms long, with an additional tail of 30-40cms. Average weight is around 10kgs! When one adds the fact that its burrows can cause damage to river banks, and its fondness of surrounding vegatation, upsets farmers, we have an ideal recipe for a human desire to kill it. Of course, like many 'alien' invaders (usually introduced by man), there can also be implications for the resident wildlife. In this instance, it is the Coypu's diet of plants (they are herbivores), that can be argued, potentially destroys nesting sites for birds and insects. 

I have also heard stories of Coypu killing fish, birds and other small mammals, which is totally unfounded and complete rubbish! These propaganda stories are spread by bigoted people to the uneducated poulation, who are too stupid, or lazy, to search out the truth.


I have experienced and studied these creatures on my own lake and those of other people for 18 years now and I can confirm that their numbers do need controlling in certain areas. However, they are far from the 'terrifying' rats that they are usually portrayed as. Like many, when I first encountered coypu on my own lake, I was quickly warned by people that they would kill my fish and destroy my lake......many years later and the lake is still intact, the fish are still alive and healthy and I continue to enjoy the company of the coypu. In fact, the more time that I have spent with them, the more that I have come to understand their lives and relationships.


Coypu are territorial animals and an 'average' size lake, will only support one family, with youngsters being 'moved on', before the next batch of young arrive. They will utilise the same burrow for many years, as long as they have a food source nearby. Although they will eat a large amount of vegetation, I have never experienced them getting anywhere near to exhausting the 'marginal' plants around my lake. 



You only have to 'google' the word 'Coypu', to realise that they DO NOT HAVE ANY positive press, so I am here to try and redress the balance and at least explain my fascination and enjoyment of spending time in their company. I have found them to be friendly and caring creatures, who tolerate my presence, even when they have young with them. They seem to spend most of their time, either eating, or grooming. In fact, grooming seems to take up an inordinate amount of their time and I often find myself giggling at their antics, as they try to scratch an itch and fall flat on their back......over balancing is a common occurence!



Coypu are very family orientated and make wonderful parents, with lots of reassurance and cuddles taking place, alongside teaching them life skills and showing them where to find the best vegetation. Although the they can often be seen during daylight, it is during the nocturnal hours, that they are at their most active. I have been lucky to be able to set up some 'trail cams' near to the entrance to their burrow and obtained some interesting night time footage. Juveniles only spend a few months with parents, before being sent off to find new homes. However, during those first months of life, they will spend much time with each other exploring their surroundings. Watching the youngsters play together is magical and full of 'rough and tumble' until one of the parents calls to them that play time is over.


So, if you come across a coypu family, please do not panic. - Simply find a comfortable vantage point and spend some time with these wonderful creatures.....
you won't be disappointed!











If you enjoy my blogs, please share them on facebook etc.


Older blogs can be viewed by clicking on the  symbol, at the top of the home page.


Comments

  1. Great blog Glynn and I think they are very cute. Cheers Diane x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Triumph TR3a

The incredible 'White Tailed Eagle', photographed near Crinan in Scotland

a Winter Walk around 'Moor Green Lakes' Nature Reserve in Berkshire.....