Marshes and Reed Beds in late Winter

"What time did you get here"?, was the question that came as someone entered the hide around lunchtime........."06.30, just before sunrise" I replied........a short delay and then came their response, "Blimey, you won't die from stress will you".

Well, that just about sums up why I enjoy wildlife so much and spend so much time dedicated to recording it on camera. Being 'at one' with wildlife, is something that I have enjoyed since childhood and almost 70 years later, I could not imagine my life without it. Many people enjoy seeing wildlife and being in the countryside, but it's not until you let it totally immerse you, that you benefit from natures true peace and healing powers. -  It's true that i'm obsessed with its power and wonders. I don't watch wildlife, I experience it, I become part of it, I understand it!

Studying animal behaviour, opens up such a huge understanding of nature and the battles that every creature undertakes in its daily fight for survival. From the smallest insect, to the largest mammal, they all have similar lives to ourselves, the same emotions, fears and dreams. By spending time with them, allows us a 'window' into those lives and gives us an empathy for them.......Study the life of a wasp, and you will never 'swat' one again!

All of which, brings me back to one of my favourite wildlife locations. Stodmarsh Nature Reserve, in Kent. It is one of the areas largest wetlands and reed beds, and the home to a large variety of creatures. When I visited this time, it was the end of february and a quiet time of year, as the winter visitors had moved on and we were awaiting the springtime arrival of the summer visitors.  Nonetheless, each day I was able to 'experience' the lives of some of the local inhabitants.

The following images were taken over a two week period, with variable weather conditions, which included sun, rain, cloud and snow!

Long Eared Owl


On this trip to the UK, it was my hope, to photograph Owls in particular, In fact, I had already been successful, photographing Barn Owls in the Cotswolds during the previous fortnight. I was aware of Short Eared Owls nearby at Sandwich Bay, but was amazed to hear that a Long Eared Owl had been seen at Stodmarsh. I knew rougly the area that it had been seen, but not its precise location. After a few days, I had found it, but not been able to get a 'clean' shot, as it was hidden well back into the tree and I did not want to disturb it. I returned on a number of occasions and each time, it was present, but still well hidden. With only one day left of my trip, the day dawned to the sound of high wind, rain and sleet. This would be my last chance and although the light was awful, at least no-one else would be daft enough to venture out on to the reserve in these conditions and the Owl might just move into a better position.......It worked and although I was shooting 'wide open' and at just 1/60th, I was delighted to finally get my shot!


The Common Coot is an iteresting bird, which I have always described as the delinquent of the reed beds. They are forever chasing each other and fighting, sometimes to the death!  Their legs and feet are vastly out of proportion with their bodies however, which can make for some spectacular images. The following sequence was witnessed by myself and some other photographers and we were all convinced that this fight has resulted in one of the birds having been drowned. It had been held underwater for at least 3-4 minutes, but somehow survived!




This attack was relentless and we have no idea how the victim survived!


Shoveler Ducks are one of our most colourful ducks and with that 'shovel' of a beak, are easily identified. There are around 1000 breeding pairs in the south of England, but this population swells to over 20,000 in winter, as visiting birds arrive. In-flight, they are particularly colourful and a joy to watch.







Cormorants are found in huge numbers and over 200 birds use the reserve to roost at night, before heading for the nearby coast to feed during the day. Early morning is a good time to see them, as they leave.





Herons seem to be found just about everywhere nowadays and the abundant food supply at Stodmarsh ensures that they are never far away. They make quite a sight, when landing, or taking off from the reeds.





This Crested Grebe was being a little optimistic, when it grabbed a large Roach for lunch. It gave it a good go for around 5 minutes, but finally decided that it was just too big to go down. Just like Kingfishers, they always seem to think that they  can swallow anything!








Everyone loves a Raptor, and these Marsh Harriers are stunning to watch, as they hunt over the reed beds. Sadly, they kept their distance during my various visits, but these images give me fond memories of this trip. As is common in the bird world, it is the Male that has the more colourful and more vibrant appearance.







I was really pleased to find that a group of Gadwall were  still at Stodmarsh when I arrived, as they are winter visitors and would be gone in a matter of days! When on the water, these are relatively drab coloured ducks, but when they take off, we are treated to some beautiful colouring. They are very sleek in flight and look wonderful when photographed at low level, with the reeds behind them.








The Greylag Goose is one of our largest geese and widespread throughout Europe. Although originally winter migrants from the Arctic, they now are found all year round.







The Mallard, is always to be seen and one of our most common ducks. As such, it is often ignored by me, as 'boring'. However, it is without doubt, one of our most colourful waterfowl and deserves its inclusion in this blog......those incredible colours!





To finish off, here are some additional images, of a variety of birds that I enjoyed seeing.......

Female Gadwall in 'comical' pose

Tufted Duck looking cross!


I love watching Coots taking off.

Low level Swan in the early morning light!

Kingfisher almost made me feel 'at home'.

Once a rare sight, Cattle Egret seem commonplace nowadays.



If you enjoy my blogs, please share them on facebook etc.


Older blogs can be viewed by clicking on the  symbol, at the top of the home page.



Comments

  1. Stunning set of photos. Love the Gadwell it made me smile.
    I don't watch wildlife, I experience it, I become part of it, I understand it! If only more people thought along those lines. Having just come back from RSA I was horrified that every rhino we saw had been dehorned to try and save them from poachers. It is a sad situation.
    Hope all is well, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Triumph TR3a

The incredible 'White Tailed Eagle', photographed near Crinan in Scotland

a Winter Walk around 'Moor Green Lakes' Nature Reserve in Berkshire.....